Thursday, May 14, 2015

Maverick's Birth Story

When mothers talk about their birth plan and things not going as planned I never really understood this. I just thought, "oh well, stuff happens" 
I am usually a roll with the punches kind of girl. 

So, Saturday May 2, I started having significant signs that labor was imminent. This was also my due date according to my dates and ultrasound. We called the hospital around 5 pm  and they told us to go ahead and come in. 
When we arrived, I had made no progress from the doctor visit on Tuesday before. My contractions were there but not strong and not regular. From previous labors this is how things go with me, my water never breaks, my contractions are never regular, I just usually don't have the "usual" labor symptoms. I was set to be induced the very next day, so my dr came in and told me that they would give me an hour to progress, then we could begin induction or go home. Well I was there, in my lovely hospital gown, I was NOT leaving now. I got on the birth ball. I was determined to have this baby before midnight. I wanted to get my contractions going. It worked, they started coming faster and stronger. When the nurse came in at 830 I was dilated to a 4 (previously a 2) this meant I could get my epidural and hopefully be holding my baby boy in my arms soon! 
Around midnight I got my epidural, not long after that my water broke. (Remember I said this was not a normal for me labor) 
Fast forward, I labored all night long. By 630 am I was finally at 9cm, yahoo! By around 930am I was still at a 9, my dr decided to give me some pitocin to get my labor going and get that last cm gone. In the meantime that sick feeling came over me like a wave, you know the puking feeling. Yep, I got sick, 4 times. Again, when I labor I do not do that. Very unusual, but I do know now all labors are different. 
Around 11am the nurse came in to check and there was a tiny half cm left on the right side, they thought I could push past it, so at noon I started pushing. I was not getting the urge to push nor was I feeling the tightening of the contractions. I pushed for an hour and a half. In that time, Maverick's heart rate was going all over the place. I knew it was by watching the nurses watch the monitor. I know they don't want to alarm the patient, but I was scared to death. 
My dr came in after that hour and a half and told me that we needed to either use the vacuum to get him to come down or a c section, we would try the vacuum first, yeah, no go. Dr Lam only tried once and said "I'm sorry, he is just not coming down, we will have to do a c section" 
Now, let me tell you, I had twins vaginally almost 14 years ago, TWINS! And with no pain meds mind you. I also had my 9 year old vaginally. This was not in the plan. And instantly fear creeped on, anxiety and panic. I just knew I was going to die. All through this pregnancy I had this fear of dying in childbirth, I don't know why. I had great prenatal care, a healthy pregnancy and as far as we knew a healthy baby. But in that instant, I was convinced I was going to die. I looked at my dr and said "will I be awake" I just knew if they put me out that I wouldn't wake up. At least if I was awake I could see it coming and face it head on. 
Let me say that never in my life would I have imagined the care I would receive during my experience. The dr who handled my epidural was there all night with me, monitoring, she was still there when I started pushing and as they said we are doing a C section, she was the one to handle my increase in meds. She promised me that she would stay right by me, tell me step by step what they were doing as I laid on that table, terrified. And she did, she knew by then when my blood pressure would drop (which scared the holy heck out of me) and adjusted things accordingly. After Maverick was born and taken on to the nursery to be evaluated, she was with me in recovery and back to the room. 

Maverick was born at 2:34 Pm on May 3. He was a chunk of a baby, when they pulled him out the nurses said "his little neck has a fat roll" and that is why I could not deliver vaginally. I always thought my body was made for pregnancy and birthing babies but apparently it had its limitations or Mav had his own ideas. 

He was healthy and here and I was fine. In the days to come, recovery was not easy. My husband, who I have grown to love more than I could ever imagine, stayed with me every night. I had to make him go get something to eat or coffee. When we came home, I could basically do nothing. He got up in the night with Maverick, helped me in every way he had to. I am one lucky woman to have such a wonderful husband and father to my kids. 

So that's his birth story. He will be four weeks tomorrow and our love for him grows every day. He is such a good baby. Getting up one time at night and never really getting upset unless he's hungry or tired. He is the perfect little addition to complete this family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment